Louie the Cab Driver

Monday, September 25, 2006

Perspective

We had some major flash floods in town Friday night. It had been raining off and on most of the day, but appeared to have stopped by late evening. Midnight it started up with a vengeance.

Two girls took a cab and exited only to be washed away in the flood waters to their death. Just about every major road had currents crossing them. It was pretty scary. During all this, I got a call from a regular that was needing some food. We're not talking starvation, but just a big mac attack. My attitude was like that of disbelief. But it goes to show how different it was in the safety of their own home compared to the mean streets.

I made it to the food place and called back to get the order, only to find they had gone themselves. I was a bit unhappy to say the least. I think my response was "F*Y'all!" Ok, I know it was. I've not taken their calls since. Having my time wasted when I am busy is about the worst thing for my mood ever. Not canceling is a major no-no with me, if you expect me to be available to you. Each and every cancelation goes in a mental score book of mine. If I get too many "trivial" calls, all your calls become trivial. Its like crying wolf.

By making myself available to my best customers is my best business plan. My best customers understand this is a symbiotic relationship and we both benefit when we work together.

No comments: